Kenyan Police Chief Announces Fresh Ban On Protests Planned For Monday
The Kenyan police chief on Sunday announced a ban on demonstrations planned on Monday after last week’s protests grew into riots, reported The TRT World.
“We will not allow violent demonstrations,” Inspector General of Police Japhet Koome told news reporters on Sunday.
He said the protests, which are planned on Monday, are illegal and will not be allowed. He added that the Kenyan police force was ready to take necessary measures to maintain peace and would arrest anyone carrying offensive weapons.
But veteran opposition leader Raila Odinga, who has called for people to take to the streets on Monday and Thursday to force the government to tackle the high cost of living, remained defiant.
“I am asking our supporters and all Kenyans to come out and join the peaceful demonstrations,” he said at a church service on Sunday.
During last Monday’s demonstrations, the security forces fired tear gas and water cannon at the protesters throwing rocks and setting tyres on fire. According to the Kenyan police, a university student was killed by police fire while 31 officers were injured in the clashes in Nairobi and opposition strongholds in western Kenya.
Over 200 people were detained during the protests, including several senior opposition leaders. Opposition leader Odinga’s convoy was also hit with tear gas and water cannon.
Kenyan Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua said the country lost around $15 million due to the demonstrations.
Last week’s protest was the first incident of a political unrest since President Ruto came to power more than six months ago after defeating Odinga in an election the opposition claims was unfair.
Ruto has already called on the opposition leader to cease the action and the peace and security of the country.
“I am telling Raila Odinga that if he has a problem with me, he should face me and stop terrorising the country,” Ruto said on Thursday.