The African National Congress (ANC) has reportedly changed its tune on allegations that emerged against some of its members from the state capture commission of inquiry against Bosasa, now known as African Global Operations. Former Bosasa executive Angelo Agrizzi revealed before the Zondo commission of inquiry how senior ANC leaders were allegedly bribed or benefited from corruption, either through Bosasa or companies linked to the Gupta family.
ANC previously said it would back its members implicated in testimony and make submissions to the Zondo Commission in due time. But, now, it says the party will take immediate action against those who have found guilty of wrongdoing rather than waiting for the inquiry to end.
“The ANC categorically said the law enforcement agencies must act where there’s overwhelming evidence of wrongdoing and criminality,” ANC national spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said, reported Eyewitness News. “On our part, the ANC will not wait. The impact on the integrity will continue to engage with that that’s why we have integrity commission.”
President Cyril Ramaphosa also called out for strict against those found guilty during the launch of the ANC manifesto in the Northern Cape on Saturday. Acknowledging the widespread corruption in South Africa, the President said he welcomed the commission of inquiry into state capture.
“We should not be afraid of all those things that are being said and revealed because it is the truth that must come out,” Ramaphosa said. “It is the truth that is going to make sure that the wrong things that are being talked about in the commission must never ever happen again here in South Africa.”
He also said that the ANC is also committed to holding those in its ranks accountable. He even called out those involved in wrongdoing to come forward themselves and be accountable for what they may have done.