Sudanese protest leaders have finally sorted out all differences with and their rebel partners over the power-sharing deal signed with the military council, reported France 24.
Last week, the umbrella protest movement signed a power-sharing deal with Sudan’s ruling generals that called for the formation for a transitional civilian administration. But three armed rebel member groups of the protest alliance objected the deal, saying it failed to address conflicts in Darfur, South Kordofan, and Blue Nile. The rebel groups had been fighting with government forces in Darfur, Blue Nile, and South Kordofan for years. A large number of people have been killed and millions displaced in the three conflicts.
Some protest leaders flew to Addis Ababa for talks with the rebel groups and after days of intense negotiations, they reached an agreement that was announced on Thursday.
“This agreement has discussed the fundamental roots of war… and aims to reach a comprehensive peace accord with all armed groups,” said the Sudanese Professionals Association, which spearheaded the protest campaign against Bashir.
“The agreement paves the way for establishing comprehensive peace urgently once the transitional process for a civilian government begins,” the group said on its Facebook page.
As per reports, the rebel groups had demanded that the new transitional government should make peace negotiations a top priority. Sources said the rebel groups their representatives should be made a part of the transitional government.
They have also called for the extradition of people who are accused of crimes by the Hague-based International Criminal Court. The list also includes the name of Ex-President Bashir who is charged with war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide for his alleged role in the conflict in Darfur that erupted in 2003.
It currently remains unclear if demands of the rebel groups had been addressed in the Addis Ababa agreement.