Sudan

Sudan: US President Trump Says Ready To Delist Sudan As Sponsor Of Terror

The United States President Mr. Donald Trump on Monday said his government is ready to remove Sudan from its list of state sponsors of terrorism as Khartoum has agreed to set aside $335 million to pay to militant attacks victims and their families, reported Al Jazeera.

He vowed to delist Sudan as soon as the compensation is paid.

“New government of Sudan, which is making great progress, agreed to pay $335 MILLION to US terror victims and families. Once deposited, I will lift Sudan from the State Sponsors of Terrorism list. At long last, JUSTICE for the American people and BIG step for Sudan!” Trump wrote on Twitter.

The removal from the list has been a top priority for the Sudanese transitional government which has been in power since August last year following the military removal of longtime President Omar al-Bashir after months of mass protests against his rule.

Washington added Sudan to its list of state sponsors of terrorism in 1993 over allegations that former al-Bashir’s government was supporting terrorist groups. The listing makes it difficult for Sudan’s transitional government to access urgently needed debt relief and foreign financing. The country has over $60 billion in foreign debt.

The removal would need to be approved by the US Congress after being formally notified by the president. Iran, North Korea and Syria are the three countries that will continue to remain on the list after Sudan’s removal.

Soon after Trump’s Twitter post, Sudan’s Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok also took to Twitter to thank Trump.

“Thank you so much, President Trump!” Sudanese Prime Minister Hamdok tweeted. “We very much look forward to your official notification to Congress rescinding the designation of Sudan as a state-sponsor of terrorism.”

The head of the Sudanese ruling council, Gen. Abdel-Farrah Burhan, also welcomed US President Trump’s announcement, calling it as a constructive step.

Caroline Finnegan

A professionnal journalist for the past ten years, I cover global news and economic affairs for The Chief Observer.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *