World

26/11 Mumbai Terror Attack: US Announces $5 Million For Information About Culprits

The terror attack killed 166 people and left hundreds injured

In wake of the 10th anniversary of the brutal 26/11 Mumbai terror attack in 2008, the United States of America has extended support in bringing those behind the attacks to justice.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has reportedly announced a reward of $5 million for any information of any individual in any country who was involved in planning or facilitating the assault, reported NDTV.com.

A total of 166 people, including Americans, were killed and hundreds were left injured after 10 terrorists associated with the LeT militant group unleashed a wave of violence in Mumbai on November 26, 2008, that lasted for three days. The police killed nine of the attackers, while one of them named, Ajmal Kasab, was captured and hanged after an Indian court ordered a death sentence for him.

“It is an affront to the families of the victims that, after ten years, those who planned the Mumbai attack have still not been convicted for their involvement,” Pompeo said in a statement. “We call upon all countries, particularly Pakistan, to uphold their UN Security Council obligations to implement sanctions against the terrorists responsible for this atrocity, including Lashkar-e-Tayyiba and its affiliates.”

Pompeo added that the US is offering support to the families and friends of the victims, who lost their loved ones in the attack which also killed six American citizens. He expressed solidarity with the survivors of the attack. He said that the US is committed to seeing that those responsible for the attack face justice.

“The United States is committed to working with our international partners to identify and bring to justice those responsible for the 2008 Mumbai attack,” the US State Department said on Monday.

The department had previously announced a sum of $10 million for Lashkar-e-Tayyiba (LeT) founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed and $2 million for Hafiz Abdul Rahman Makki, another senior leader of the group.

Caroline Finnegan

A professionnal journalist for the past ten years, I cover global news and economic affairs for The Chief Observer.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *