UN Makes An Appeal For $3 Billion To Provide Humanitarian Assistance In Sudan
The United Nations (UN) and its partner organizations on Wednesday made an appeal for about $3 billion to help those affected by the Sudanese fighting that erupted last month, reported The VOA News.
The U.N. humanitarian agency said it needs $2.6 billion to provide humanitarian aid and protection to 18 million affected people.
Ramesh Rajasingham, head of the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs in Geneva and director of the Coordination Division, said the conflict in Sudan has been a cruel blow to the people of Sudan. He said the fighting between the Sudanese army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) has left at least 676 dead so far. The war started after disputes between the two sides over plans for the RSF’s integration into the army.
The conflict has displaced over 700,000 people inside Sudan and forced about 200,000 to flee into neighboring countries.
Rajasingham said the funds will allow aid agencies to reach 18 million of the most vulnerable people inside the country.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) also made an appeal on Wednesday to raise another $472 million that will be used to assist more than 1 million people who have fled to neighboring countries to escape the fighting in Sudan including Chad, South Sudan, Egypt, Central African Republic and Ethiopia.
“Sadly, we need once again to call on countries and individuals with the means to step up for innocent people who have lost everything through no fault of their own,” said Raouf Mazou, Assistant High Commissioner for Operations at UN refugee agency.
The two warring parties began peace talks in Jeddah led by Saudi Arabia and the United States more than a week ago. The talks have led to the signing of a statement of principles for aid supplies and protecting civilians. However, several other issues including a complete ceasefire, and mechanisms for setting up humanitarian corridors are still being discussed.