The United States President Donald Trump made it clear on Tuesday that he is going to stand behind Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman even if he ordered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s murder.
Trump asserted that King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman may not have any connection with the planning or execution of Mr. Khashoggi’s murder as they have repeatedly denied having any knowledge about the matter, reported CNN.
“Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event, maybe he did and maybe he didn’t!” Trump noted in an official statement subtitled “America First!.”
Trump explained that Saudi Arabia agreed to spend and invest $450 billion in the United States after he went on a trip to the Kingdom last year. He added that the money will be used for the country’s economic development and to create hundreds of thousands of jobs. Around $110 billion will be used to purchase military equipment from Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, and many other great U.S. defense contractors.
The US President said Russia and China would be the enormous beneficiaries if the country cancels these contracts over Jamal Khashoggi’s murder.
He did acknowledge the crime against Khashoggi was a terrible one and that the US has taken strong action against those confirmed to be involved in the murder. The action includes sanctioning 17 Saudis known to have been involved in the murder of Mr. Khashoggi, and the disposal of his body.
Trump told the press later in the day that Saudi Arabia has a major influence over oil prices and abandoning ties with the Kingdom would be a terrible mistake. He added that he was not going to destroy the US economy over Khashoggi by giving up arms deals to Saudi Arabia.
“It’s a very simple equation for me. I’m about making America great again and I’m about America first,” Trump said.