Sudanese warring factions have agreed to a 24-hour ceasefire from Saturday, a joint statement issued by the United States and Saudi mediators confirmed, reported Africa News.
“Representatives of the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) agreed to a 24-hour countrywide ceasefire beginning on June 10 at 6:00 am (0400 GMT),” said the joint statement from the mediators released by the Saudi foreign ministry on Friday.
Notably, a number of ceasefire deals have been agreed and broken since fighting erupted between the Sudanese army led by Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan and paramilitary force RSF commanded by Burhan’s former deputy Mohamed Hamdan Daglo on April 15.
The statement said the two Sudanese sides have agreed to not to use military advantage during the 24-hour truce period. They will also not perform any attack, use aircraft or drones, reinforce positions, and resupply forces.
It added that there will be unimpeded movement and delivery of humanitarian assistance during 24 hours of a ceasefire deal.
The mediators said that if the parties fail to observe Saturday’s 24-hour cease-fire, then facilitators will have no option left but to consider adjourning the ongoing talks in Jeddah.
According to the United Nations, more than 1,800 people have been killed in the fighting so far and nearly two million people have been displaced, including 476,000 who have sought refuge in neighboring countries.
The ceasefire announcement comes a day after Sudan’s government declared the UN envoy to the country, Volker Perthe, as “persona non grata,” accusing him of fueling the civil conflict.
UN chief Antonio Guterres, however, continues to support Perthes, who criticized the two sides saying that the two generals were responsible for the war. The UN envoy is currently in Addis Ababa.
Last month, Al-Burhan even sent a letter to Guterres asking him to replace Perthes.